Sunday, November 17, 2013

Teddy Bear Tribe



TeddyBearTribe is a group of creatives- in love with photography, fashion, music, poetry, storywriting and the dramatic arts.
Honestly anything in the arts. The belief is that through art we can heal people and break barriers. Being a Bear means being about your art and even helping yourself along the way. 

While striving to create and be part of a generation of passionate art-advocates, they consists of a couple of young unknown artists- that are ready to shake the world one masterpiece at a time; Amogelang Mpete (instrumentalist, producer), Omphile Tlalang (drummer), Tlhalefo Makunye (basketball player), Obakeng Mosadi  (writer, pianist), Oboitshepo Tladi (writer), Tlotliso (writer), Lesedi (artist-draws), Jacob Seatlholo (rapper), Galaletsang Monare (fashion) & Dimpho Mokgotho (fashion)

We have had the privilege to communicate with one of the insightful and poetic members of the Tribe and it went a little like this...
 

 













You go by the name Panda?
My real name is Obakeng, it means “Praise Him”




How old are you?

16



Where are you from?

I’m from a beautiful little town called Mahikeng.



When did you start writing poetry?

I started writing in grade 7, I was 12 and my first poem was called ‘Africa’



How would you describe your work?

Heavy. Fantasy. Vibey. Too many emotions



As young as you are do you think you have something to offer the youth of the world?

Not yet, I'm still trying to figure myself out but I'd like to teach others who are younger than me.



How?

By just helping them grow their skills because I feel art itself is a ‘lost art’ amongst our youth. We're too focused on impression rather than expression.



This is an odd question but why do you think the way you do?

I'm not sure how I can answer that but I think it’s because of the music I listen to. I listen to J Cole, Drake, Kutthrowt, and Tajan. Tajan & Kutthrowt are producers - they just make soothing beats, which calm me- I also listen to jazz , 90s hip-hop and spoken word clips.


Advice to other young poets...

Don't be afraid to speak.



Name one of your favourite poems that you have written and quote your best line from it:

Dear Lover

“Our hearts are interlocked in deep conversation. Thoughts and feelings in graceful motion, love never known.”



Your favourite poet is?

Jeff Bethke



What do you do in your spare time other than writing poetry?

I play piano. I read poetry. I jam with my band. I live



Describe the process your mind goes through before you write?

Its free-flow. My mind forms sentences, I just piece them together. Before I write something, I have to be listening to a song from the artists I mentioned before, from there I look around, I absorb my surroundings and then my mind does everything.


One more thing- do you like what you write?

Yes- sometimes


Do you always believe what you write?

Always


If you could draw a picture of your words how would it look like?

It would look like my family, by family I don't only mean the people I live with but also people I have close bonds with.

In case you want to keep up with the latest and past TeddyBearTribe adventures:
 





2 comments:

  1. Jadikanlah apa yang diraih orang lain sebagai motivasi untuk anda. Yakinlah anda juga pasti bisa, dan tetaplah bersyukur dengan apa yang telah anda miliki saat ini.

    obat herbal maag

    cara cepat menghilangkan bekas luka

    cara mengobati darah tinggi dengan cepat

    obat untuk penyakit asma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful interview. He is so young but already he so much depth of self and life. He reminded me of why I got attached to poetry

    ReplyDelete